I can hear the booms going on

It’s not over ’til it’s over, and that is not today. We didn’t get hit by the first barrage, which started just as the ceasefire expired at 8am, but there were rockets throughout the day. A couple of people in our area were hurt pretty badly. Our luck couldn’t last forever.

That’s the thing, we do everything we can to minimize the damage, but when people keep launching rockets at you, somebody is going to get hurt, killed.

I missed most of it because my two daughters and I went to a petting zoo south of Be’er Sheva. I’m terrible about remembering names, but it was in (or near) Revivim, best I can transliterate it.

It was a terribly hot day, and a lot of the animals were just hiding in whatever shade they could find. Still we got to visit with a family of baboons, which was a lot of fun. They couldn’t be bothered with us, though, they were fascinated by some younger kids who came to visit. We also visited various collections of goats, geese, ducks. There was one alpaca, and one pony.

There was a snake that I couldn’t see because of glare on the glass. One thing about wheelchairs, it doesn’t matter how you maneuver them, you cannot get close enough to glass to put your face against it with your hands on either side to peer into a dark room. There were monkeys and rabbits, and since the temperatures were almost obscene (well over 40C) there were no other people there and we could take our time and do pretty much whatever we wanted.

Unfortunately, the place was about as non-accessible as it is possible to be and still get a wheelchair in. There were no steps to get into the zoo, but the paths were not paved, and in several places the sand was so loose the wheels just sunk in it. There were board bridges with spaces between the boards big enough to lose a wheel in (the small front wheels). There were rocks on the paths and ditches and no shade. Almost no shade. So, generally it was amazing we managed to have as good a time as we did.

My older daughter did most of the pushing, or pulling, as many times the only way to get the wheelchair through was by her towing it backwards behind her. There were a few stressful moments when it was genuinely scary. Still, for the most part I managed to see everything I wanted to see. The girls left me parked in a shady area near a bunch of goats and the alpaca and the pony, and went to climb an observation tower. It sounds like it was fun for them.

I intend to go back there, but when it is cooler, and when I have The Husband to help get me around. Unless Hashem chooses to make a miracle and I can walk around the place. I’m not holding my breath. I think that youngest son would really enjoy it, and it was quite reasonable, charging (I think) 30shekel admission. I don’t know because they had closed the office when we got there due to the heat and so few people showing up, and we ended up getting in for free with the blessings of an employee who we found and tried to pay.

No photos, because I forgot the camera. Time was, that couldn’t happen. Just couldn’t. Now … *sigh* Let’s blame it on the war, sure why not. It must be the stress getting to me.

Youngest son texted me each time there was a tseva adom at our home. It was one of those when the two people were hurt. It was quiet in Be’er Sheva, where we went after the zoo to pick up some groceries for the weekend. And a fan. And cat food.

BTW, I know the identity of the two injured, I just don’t feel comfortable writing it here. Why? I don’t know. But there it is. I am not a news service.

We came home to the receipt of a book I ordered, it is James Garner’s book, The Garner Files. Just about everyone is looking forward to reading it, there is a line already.

It is all very exciting. New books and bombs and critters and all. Today the war seemed more ‘normal,’ if that makes any sense. Not like something imposed on us, but just a part of life. I wonder if that is simply what happens over time, we get inured to the bombs and the threat of injury and death — much as many people seem completely cavalier about the dangers of driving.

Now I have to get going, it is almost candle-lighting, and I want to not leave anything half-done around me tonight. Here’s wishing for a peaceful and a quiet shabbot.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s